The Ivanhoe Northcote Canoe Club (INCC) clubhouse is located on the banks of the Yarra in Fairfield Park near the boathouse cafe off Heidelberg Road in the City of Yarra. The club was established in the 1950s and has a proud history as one of Victoria’s largest kayaking clubs, producing many Australian representatives over the decades.
We currently have about 400 members ranging in age from 10 to over 80, participating for recreation, friendship, fitness and competition. We compete in marathon, sprint, wildwater and multisport events.
The club offers many benefits to members:
The Ivanhoe Canoe Club was founded in 1956 by Ross Chenoweth after the demise of the Rudder Grange Canoe Club and the closure of the Rudder Grange Boathouse and Tearooms. The club initially consisted of a trailer of boats, which were towed to the river two or three times a week. The original ‘put in’ was at the old swimming pool steps in Alphington Park just upstream of the paper mill.
In the early 70’s the club was invited by the Northcote Council to use the Panther Pavilion in Fairfield Park. The club changed the name Ivanhoe Northcote Canoe Club at that time.