River rules and safety
River rules and safety notes for all paddlers:
- Paddlers must be in good health and able to swim 50m in clothing.
- Paddlers must stay on the right-hand side of the river when safe. This means you should pass other paddlers on your left.
- It is often safer and more enjoyable to paddle with someone else especially for beginners.
- Marine Safety Regulations specify all persons on board a kayak, canoe, rowing boat must wear a Type 1, 2 or 3 (Level 100+, Level 50 or level 50S) lifejacket at all times when the vessel is underway on any waterway.
- Watch out for snakes during summer (not joking!).
- During winter paddlers must have a light on their boat.